Friday, October 11, 2013

One busy weekend filled with pumpkins

The weekend of Oct 5th was busy from a photography standpoint.  Saturday morning I went out to shoot The Lounatics Soccer game, it was my first attempt at sports photography and part of an on going project.

But that evening we took the whole family to see the "Rise of the Jack O'Lanterns" at the Westbury House.  Five thousand carved and lighted pumpkins displayed along a walkway on the grounds.  Some amazing carvings and although the path was crowded, I found that if you held back for a little while the crowd thinned out.  I must admit it was really well organized, we had a specific time slot at 8:30 and we started moving right on time.  Having the family there was really nice.


Taking photos of the pumpkins was a challenge.  At first I tried just my 50mm, set the ISO to get a shutter speed I could hold steady, but was unhappy with the results.  You could see the carving, which was lite, but not the pumpkin.  



Luckily I brought my whole kit with me and pulled out my speedlite.   Setting the speedlite, whick I learned to do from the camera ( told you I was learning), to -1 2/3s gave me just enough light to see the pumpkin with out lighting the background to much, I then cropped to a square image and I was pleased with the results.

 

To see all the Pumpkin Photos click Rise of the Jack O'Lanterns Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment